Monday, April 20, 2009

Audition Purgatory: Day #1, Part II

So I had my general audition about three and a half hours ago.

Now it's time to freak out, because it's out of my hands.

I had a rockin' new outfit, a snazzy headshot, and a full resume, plus I had both of my pieces memorized. I strolled in, beamed at Mike, Deb, and the mysterious new music director, and said, "Hi, I'm Caitlin. What do you want me to do first?"

Initial mistake. I should have just launched into a piece. But no. Mike the Almighty Director just blinked and said, "Uh, whatever piece you have the most prepared." So I burst into singing my sixteen bars.

Second mistake. I should have introduced that before bursting into song like this was High School Musical. I realized that while I was singing, so the second I stopped I said, "Oh, I'm sorry, I should've introduced that. That was 'I Can't Say No," from Oklahoma!".

They laughed and said they figured as much, then MTAD nodded at me to continue. So I said, in a shy little baby voice, "Um, my monologue is from 'Summer in the City,' by Barbara Kahn."

Luckily, I've been practicing my monologue for the past several weeks and I can do it in my sleep, so I think I did all right. Except no one laughed during it. MTAD kind of chuckled at the end and said thanks, and I left.

Then as I was leaving, Deb said, "On your audition form, it says you're willing to dye your hair. What color?"

And I just kind of shrugged and smiled sweetly and said, "Whatever is needed."

Last mistake.

I SHOULD HAVE SAID BLONDE.

REALLY, I SHOULD HAVE.

I SHOULD HAVE SAID, "WHY YES, AS ADELAIDE IS TRADITIONALLY A BLONDE, I AM WILLING TO DYE MY HAIR WHATEVER SHADE OF BLONDE YOU SO DESIRE. JUST PLEASE CAST ME AS ADELAIDE. I AM DESPERATE."

Okay, so maybe it's okay that I left it vague rather than spewing my emotional guts all over the stage. But still.

Now I'm just praying for a callback. Hopefully MTAD will send out the email soon. And when I mean "hopefully soon," that translates into "within the next hour."

I mean, auditions ended precisely ninteen minutes ago. How long should it take them to assemble a list of people to call back and send it over the internetz?

In my world, callbacks would be out by now.

Then again, in my world, I would have the paaart....

(By the way, I just want to share my marvelous headshot with you. I look so intense!!)


(By the way again, that headshot was difficult to procure. We went to Walgreens, Wolf Camera [which is now closed, by the way], CVS [well, Shannon went to CVS], and finally Kinko's before we could print them. Then, when we printed them, it broke on Erin's and we had to get a clerk to fix it. But not only did they get printed, I made it in time for my 3pm voice lesson! Tada!!)
blog comments powered by Disqus